How to Create a Strong Positioning Statement on LinkedIn [With Examples]
In today’s digital age, LinkedIn has become an essential platform for professionals to connect, network, and find new opportunities. However, with millions of users on the platform, it can be challenging to stand out and get noticed. Your LinkedIn profile is essentially your online resume and digital business card, and it’s the first impression you make on potential employers, clients, and colleagues.
As with every social network, LinkedIn has become increasingly noisy and saturated over the years. With so many users all fighting for attention, it’s more critical than ever to make sure that your profile stands out, especially your positioning statement at the top of your profile. Your positioning statement is essentially your unique value proposition or elevator pitch, and it should clearly communicate who you are, who you help, and the specific problem that you solve.
Crafting a strong positioning statement is like being a lighthouse that guides ships to safety in a stormy sea. It’s the first thing that people see when they visit your profile, and it should be clear, concise, and compelling. With so much competition on LinkedIn, a strong positioning statement can be the difference between being ignored and landing your dream client or job.
Unfortunately, too many people make the mistake of using ambiguous phrases like “coach” or “CMO” in their LinkedIn profile, thinking that it will make them more appealing to a wider audience. The truth is, these phrases do more harm than good. They are not specific enough to create a compelling message, and they make it difficult for you to control your perception in the market.
To illustrate this point, let’s use another analogy. Imagine that you are a baker, and you want to sell your delicious pastries. If you just put up a sign that says “pastries for sale,” you are not giving your potential customers a compelling reason to buy from you. They don’t know what kind of pastries you sell, what makes them unique, or why they should choose you over other bakeries.
The same applies to your positioning statement on LinkedIn. If you use ambiguous phrases like “coach” or “CMO,” you are not giving your potential clients a compelling reason to choose you over other service providers. You need to be specific and explain who you help, what problem you solve, and what makes you unique.
So, how can you create a strong positioning statement that will make you stand out on LinkedIn? In this article, we’ll cover the basics of crafting a unique value proposition and provide real-life examples that you can use for inspiration. We’ll explore the key components that make up a strong positioning statement, such as identifying your target audience, specifying the problem you solve, and highlighting your unique skills and expertise.
By the end of this article, you’ll have a clear understanding of how to create a strong positioning statement that will make you stand out on LinkedIn. You’ll also have real-life examples to inspire you and give you ideas for your own LinkedIn profile. So, let’s dive into the process of creating a positioning statement that will help you attract the right clients, build your personal brand, and differentiate yourself from the competition.
How to Create a Strong Positioning Statement
To stand out on LinkedIn, you need to create a positioning statement that names the market you help, the problem you solve, and positions against something they’re already trying to solve. This statement needs to be specific and compelling, so your potential clients will be curious and want to know more.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to create a strong positioning statement:
Step 1: Identify the Market You Help
The first step is to identify the market you help. You need to know how your market self-identifies, so you can position yourself in a way that resonates with them. For example, if you help B2B consultants and business coaches, you need to use language aligns with how they see themselves.
Step 2: Identify the Problem You Solve
The second step is to identify the problem you solve for your market. You need to position yourself around a problem you solve, so your potential clients know immediately that you can help them. This problem needs to be specific and compelling, so your potential clients will be interested in learning more.
Step 3: Position Against Something They’re Already Trying to Solve
The third step is to position against something your potential clients are already trying to solve. This is important because it moves people away from pain, not just towards pleasure. For example, if you’re a CMO, you might say, “I help small and medium businesses to generate more revenue without hiring more expensive talent or taking another leadership coaching program.” By referencing the activities your potential clients are already undertaking that are frustrating them and causing them pain, you will position yourself as a valuable service provider in the market.
Move People Away from Pain, Not Just Towards Pleasure
When creating your positioning statement, it’s essential to move people away from pain, not just towards pleasure. This means that you need to mention the things that your potential clients are trying to do now and reference the activities that are frustrating them and causing them pain. This is because people are more likely to respond to moving away from pain as opposed to moving towards pleasure, especially when they don’t know you. This basic psychology applies in marketing as well. Therefore, your positioning statement should focus on moving people away from pain, and positioning yourself as the solution to their problems.
Make it All About Your Clients
Another important thing to keep in mind when crafting your positioning statement is to make it all about your clients. It’s not about you, your degrees or qualifications. It’s all about your potential clients and what you can do for them. Therefore, your positioning statement should focus on the benefits your potential clients will get from working with you.
For example, instead of saying, “I’m a CMO who helps businesses grow and get more leads,” you could say, “I help small and medium businesses to generate more revenue without hiring more expensive talent or taking another leadership coaching program.” The second statement positions you as a valuable service provider who understands the challenges facing small and medium businesses and provides a specific solution to their problem.
The Power of Specificity
Specificity is crucial when it comes to creating a strong positioning statement. The more specific your positioning statement, the more compelling it becomes. Instead of using broad phrases like “coach” or “CMO,” use specific language that resonates with your target market. This will make it easier for potential clients to understand what you do and how you can help them.
Putting it All Together: Real-Life Examples
Now that you know the basics of crafting a unique value proposition, let’s take a look at some real-life examples that you can use for inspiration:
Example 1: “I help female entrepreneurs in the health and wellness industry to build a profitable online business without sacrificing their health or sanity.”
In this example, the target market is female entrepreneurs in the health and wellness industry. The problem they face is that they struggle to build a profitable online business while also taking care of their health and well-being. The solution is a service provider who understands their unique challenges and can help them achieve their goals without sacrificing their health or sanity.
Example 2: “I work with small businesses in the hospitality industry to create unforgettable guest experiences that drive loyalty and revenue.”
This example is specific to small businesses in the hospitality industry. The problem they face is the need to create unforgettable guest experiences that will drive loyalty and revenue. The solution is a service provider who can help them achieve this goal through their unique approach and expertise.
Example 3: “I partner with B2B technology companies to implement cutting-edge marketing strategies that drive qualified leads and revenue growth.”
This example is targeted towards B2B technology companies. The problem they face is the need to drive qualified leads and revenue growth through cutting-edge marketing strategies. The solution is a service provider who can help them achieve this goal through their unique expertise and approach.
The key takeaway from these examples is that they are specific and compelling. They clearly identify the target market, the problem they face, and how the service provider can help solve their problem. This level of specificity makes it easier for potential clients to understand how the service provider can help them and why they should choose them over other options.
See how we can help grow your business with digital marketing.
DFY Content: The right content can take you from okay to authority. Get shares, engagement, and attract quality traffic to your site.
SEO: SEO can double your traffic. More traffic equals more chance to convert to paying customers.
Product Reviews: Boost your credibility and get eyes on your tool with product reviews. The best way to get new traffic and sales.
Stand Out on LinkedIn with These 50 Powerful Positioning Statement Examples
Here is a list of 50 real-life examples of strong positioning statements that you can use as inspiration. These examples are specific, compelling, and effective, and they clearly identify the target market, the problem they solve, and the value they offer. So take a look and see what resonates with you, and use these examples as a starting point for crafting a powerful positioning statement that will help you achieve your goals on LinkedIn.
- I help female entrepreneurs gain the clarity and confidence they need to grow their business to six figures and beyond.
- I help healthcare providers improve patient outcomes and reduce costs through advanced data analytics.
- I help tech startups bring their ideas to life by providing comprehensive product design and development services.
- I help busy professionals take control of their health and wellness with personalized nutrition and fitness coaching.
- I help B2B companies build and maintain their online reputation through strategic social media management.
- I help businesses of all sizes improve their financial performance and increase profitability through expert accounting and bookkeeping services.
- I help startups and small businesses create a strong brand identity and stand out in crowded markets through effective branding and marketing strategies.
- I help sales teams increase revenue and close more deals through customized sales training and coaching.
- I help nonprofit organizations achieve their fundraising goals and create lasting impact in their communities through effective donor outreach and engagement.
- I help legal professionals navigate complex intellectual property laws and protect their clients’ valuable assets.
- Transform your HR department from a cost center to a strategic asset through customized people management solutions.
- Grow your online presence and attract your ideal customers through effective SEO and content marketing strategies.
- Simplify your life and free up more time for what matters most through personalized virtual assistance services.
- Achieve optimal health and wellness through holistic nutrition and lifestyle coaching tailored to your unique needs.
- Get the legal representation you need to protect your business interests and succeed in today’s competitive landscape.
- Streamline your supply chain operations and reduce costs through data-driven logistics and transportation management.
- Develop a winning sales strategy and drive growth for your business through expert sales consulting services.
- Build a winning culture and unleash your team’s full potential through customized leadership development and coaching.
- Get the financing you need to start or grow your business with expert financial planning and advisory services.
- Improve your online reputation and protect your brand from negative reviews and PR crises with proactive reputation management services.
- Enhance your customer experience and drive revenue growth through expert CRM and customer experience consulting services.
- Optimize your IT infrastructure and streamline your business operations through expert IT consulting and support services.
- Overcome your anxiety and achieve mental clarity through personalized mindfulness and meditation coaching.
- Build a loyal customer base and increase revenue through effective customer retention and loyalty programs.
- Take your career to the next level with expert career coaching and development services.
- Create a lasting legacy for your family and loved ones through expert estate planning and wealth management services.
- Protect your home and family from pests and improve your living environment with expert pest control services.
- Achieve your fitness goals and transform your body through personalized workout and nutrition plans.
- Enhance your beauty and confidence with expert skincare and beauty services.
- Create a stunning interior design that reflects your personality and style with personalized design consulting services.
- Bring your business to life through customized website design and development services.
- Build a thriving community around your brand through effective social media marketing and management.
- Make the most of your retirement years with expert retirement planning and advisory services.
- Discover your purpose and unlock your full potential through expert life coaching and development services.
- Build a profitable e-commerce business through expert e-commerce strategy and management services.
- Get the expert guidance you need to make smart investments and grow your wealth.
- Achieve work-life balance and improve your overall well-being with personalized work-life integration coaching.
- Create a stunning wedding that captures your unique love story with expert wedding planning and design
- My mission is to empower women in tech by providing education and resources to help them succeed in a male-dominated industry.
- I specialize in helping startups create engaging and effective explainer videos that showcase their products and services.
- As a certified life coach, I help clients overcome limiting beliefs and achieve their personal and professional goals.
- I help eCommerce businesses increase their online sales through data-driven digital marketing strategies.
- I am a strategic business consultant who helps organizations optimize their operations and achieve sustainable growth.
- I provide expert legal advice and representation to individuals and businesses facing complex immigration issues.
- I specialize in helping medical professionals build and grow their practices through innovative marketing and branding.
- As a leadership coach, I help executives and entrepreneurs develop the skills and mindset needed to succeed in their roles.
- I help companies of all sizes streamline their HR processes and build engaged, high-performing teams.
- I am a financial planner who helps clients achieve their long-term financial goals through personalized investment strategies.
- I specialize in helping non-native English speakers improve their language skills and achieve greater fluency and confidence.
- I help entrepreneurs and business owners increase their productivity and focus through proven time management techniques.
Bonus positioning statements for LinkedIn
- I provide high-quality design and branding services to help businesses stand out and make a lasting impression on their customers.
- I am a career coach who helps professionals identify their strengths and achieve their career goals through personalized coaching and support.
- I help healthcare organizations improve patient care and outcomes through innovative health technology solutions.
- I specialize in helping authors and publishers market and sell their books through strategic book marketing and publicity campaigns.
- I help nonprofits and social enterprises develop effective fundraising strategies and raise the funds they need to create meaningful impact.
- I provide expert training and coaching to help sales teams achieve their targets and exceed their goals.
- I help individuals and businesses navigate the complex world of tax law and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations.
- I am a marketing consultant who helps companies identify their target audience and develop effective marketing strategies to reach them.
- I specialize in providing high-quality, affordable web design and development services to startups and small businesses.
- As a UX designer, I help businesses create user-friendly websites and applications that improve the user experience and drive engagement.
Remember, your positioning statement is not set in stone. You should continually revisit and revise it as you gain more experience and clarify your target audience and unique value proposition. With these real-life examples as inspiration, you can create a positioning statement that will make you stand out on LinkedIn and attract the right clients and opportunities.
Crafting a powerful positioning statement on LinkedIn is key to standing out from the millions of users on the platform. By being specific and compelling, you can differentiate yourself from the competition and attract the right clients to your profile. Avoid ambiguous phrases like “coach” or “CMO” and instead, focus on communicating your unique value proposition.
Take inspiration from the real-life examples we’ve provided and think about how you can apply those principles to your own profile. Remember that your positioning statement should communicate who you are, who you help, and the specific problem that you solve. It’s a crucial component of your online presence, so take the time to craft a powerful statement that truly reflects your value.
Once you’ve crafted your positioning statement, be sure to regularly update your LinkedIn profile with fresh content and engage with your network. This will help you to stay top of mind and build relationships with potential clients or employers.
Remember, your LinkedIn profile is your personal brand, and your positioning statement is the first thing people will see. Make it count! By following these tips and putting in the effort to create a strong and compelling statement, you can position yourself as an authority in your field and attract the right clients to your profile.